The beginnings of Audi are in the names Horch, DKW, and Auto Union. After finishing his apprenticeship at Carl Benz August Horch founded his own car company in 1899. Horch cars were characterized from the beginning by high quality, extravagance, and technical progress. After disputes with his associates, he founded a new company in 1909, which he named Audi for not being in breach of name rights. Audi is the Latin translation of the word “Horch!”. Parallel in Sachsen the company DKW was founded. 1932 there was the fusion: The companies Audi, Horch, DKW, and Wanderer were combined under the family brand Auto Union. As a symbol of the four companies, the logo with the four rings was developed. The different brands were kept – only one racing car was developed from the brand Auto Union. By the way, the name of the director of development at that time was Ferdinand Porsche.